Seasonal Custodian / Guide (part -time) vacancy late March – October 2017
Dunfermline Abbey is looking for a Custodian / Guide to join our small team that each year welcomes visitors from around the world and gives them an overview of the history of Dunfermline Abbey and draws their attention to the key points of interest within the Abbey Church itself.
We are looking for a confident individual with excellent communication skills who can not only ensure that all visitors are warmly welcomed to the church but also someone who is genuinely interested in the history of Dunfermline, and Dunfermline Abbey in particular, and can share their enthusiasm with our visitors.
The key responsibilities of the job involve:-
- Ensuring that the church is prepared to receive visitors each day.
- Welcoming visitors and conducting guided tours of the church and answering questions from tourists and visitors.
- Occasionally welcoming children from schools and giving them a short talk on the history of the building.
- Ensuring that, when required, the church is prepared for worship, or a wedding or a funeral.
- Ensuring that the building is locked securely at the end of each day.
The ability to work alongside a team of volunteers is essential and a flexible approach is required as this post involves some weekend work. We would expect the selected candidate to be willing to work 7 out of every 14 days. The hours of work would normally be between 10am to 4.30pm Monday to Saturday and from 2.00pm to 4.30pm on a Sunday.
The salary for this post is £8.45 per hour.
As this post involves working with children the successful applicant will require to obtain a PVG certificate before taking up appointment.
To apply for this vacancy please send a copy of your CV, together with a covering letter explaining why you think you would be the ideal candidate to fill this post, to The Joint Session Clerk, Dunfermline Abbey Office, Abbey Church Halls, Abbey Park Place, Dunfermline KY12 7PD or submit your application by e-mail to email@example.com Applications should be submitted no later than noon on Friday 24th February 2017.
For further information about this vacancy please contact Rev MaryAnn Rennie, MARennie@churchofscotland.org.uk