The first instrument to be installed in the new church was a Two Manual and Pedal organ built by Messrs. Forster & Andrews of Hull in 1882.  By comparison to the size of the church it was a relatively small instrument. However, it served the congregation for twenty eight years and its specification was as follows.

The Organ of Dunfermline Abbey 1882
Forster and Andrews, Hull

The scheme is rather remarkable for its time as there were 6 independent pedal stops with a variety of tonal colours on the manuals. The warmth of timbre created by Messrs. Forster & Andrews was said to have been noteworthy. It was obvious that the instrument was too small for this large church which could seat an assembled congregation of 1840 people and, consequently, in 1911 Messrs. Scovell & Co. of Edinburgh were commissioned to build a four manual and pedal instrument.
Pedal Organ Couplers
16 Open Diapason
16 Violone
16 Bourdon
8 Octave Diapason
8 Violoncello
8 Flute Bass
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal
Swell to Great 
Swell Organ Great Organ
16 Bourdon
8 Viola
8 Gamba
8 Voix Celestes (TC)
8 Stopped Flute
4 Octave Flute
4 Octave Viola
2 Fifteenth
III Mixture
8 Horn
8 Oboe
16 Double Open Diapason
8 Open Diapason
8 Small Open Diapason
8 Salicional
8 Clarabella
4 Flute Harmonique
4 Principal
2 Fifteenth
III Mixture
8 Trumpet
8 Corno di Bassetto
Accessories
4 composition pedals to Great
3 composition pedals to Swell
Balanced Swell Pedal in central position
Manuals CC to C 61 notes
Pedals CCC to F 30 notes